Garrison Corwin is a seasoned chef whose expertise lies in preparing exquisite paleo dishes. His love for cooking was sparked in his grandmother's kitchen and honed at the esteemed Le Cordon Bleu. Garrison constantly plays with different flavors and textures, challenging the perception that health-conscious eating is dull or uninspired.
Hey there, fellow paleo enthusiast! So, you're looking to achieve a caloric surplus on the paleo diet? Well, you've come to the right place! I'm here to guide you through this delicious journey of bulking up while staying true to your paleo roots. Let's dive right in!
First things first, let's talk about what a caloric surplus actually means. Simply put, it means consuming more calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight. This surplus of calories is what fuels muscle growth and helps you pack on those gains. Now, let's get into the nitty-gritty of achieving a caloric surplus on the paleo diet.
1. Embrace healthy fats: Healthy fats are your best friends when it comes to increasing your calorie intake. Avocados, nuts, seeds, coconut oil, and olive oil are all fantastic sources of healthy fats that can easily be incorporated into your paleo meals. Add a dollop of avocado to your omelet, sprinkle some nuts and seeds on your salad, or drizzle olive oil over your roasted veggies. These small additions can make a big difference in boosting your calorie intake.
2. Load up on protein: Protein is essential for muscle growth, so make sure you're getting enough of it. Opt for lean sources of protein like grass-fed beef, free-range chicken, wild-caught fish, and eggs. These protein powerhouses not only provide the building blocks for muscle growth but also add a significant number of calories to your meals.
3. Carb it up: While the paleo diet typically limits grains and legumes, you can still enjoy starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and plantains. These carb-rich veggies are packed with nutrients and can help you reach your caloric goals. Incorporate them into your meals as a side dish or use them as a base for hearty paleo bowls.
4. Don't forget about fruits: Fruits are not only delicious but also a great source of natural sugars and carbohydrates. Enjoy a variety of fruits like bananas, berries, and apples to add some extra calories to your diet. You can have them as a snack, blend them into smoothies, or even use them in paleo-friendly desserts.
5. Get creative with your meals: Don't be afraid to experiment with new recipes and flavors. Mix and match different ingredients to create high-calorie paleo meals that suit your taste buds. Try making a hearty paleo chili with grass-fed beef, sweet potatoes, and plenty of spices. Or whip up a delicious paleo stir-fry with loads of veggies, protein, and a drizzle of healthy fats.
6. Meal prep like a pro: Planning and prepping your meals in advance can make it easier to achieve a caloric surplus. Set aside some time each week to prepare your meals and snacks. This way, you'll always have nutrient-dense, high-calorie options on hand, making it easier to stay on track with your goals.
Remember, achieving a caloric surplus on the paleo diet is all about finding the right balance of macronutrients and incorporating calorie-dense foods into your meals. Be patient, stay consistent, and enjoy the process of nourishing your body with wholesome, delicious paleo foods.
If you're looking for more inspiration and guidance, head over to Paleo Meals Direct. We've got a treasure trove of paleo recipes, meal prep solutions, and dietary advice to help you on your journey to a caloric surplus. Happy bulking, my friend!